Friday, June 3, 2011

Whelmed!

I remember becoming completely addicted to "10 Things I Hate About You" while in middle school. Oh, Dana...what weirdos we were! But there's a line in there that always makes me laugh. It's between two girls who are talking about the difference of loving and liking different designers and then they continue to say--

"You know, you can be overwhelmed, and then you can be underwhelmed, but can you ever just be whelmed?"

I guess that just might be how I felt on Wednesday of this past week!! Ahhh!! It was just every emotion you could think of in one day! I had my blood drawn on Friday (which is a whole other story) and had to get a shot made up from it on Wednesday at my doctors appointment. I have been preparing in any way possible to make sure I was ready for it and to not be a huge sissy like I always am when it comes to pokey things. So, I somehow made it through that glucose test and ended up fasting for 13 hours before drawing my blood, I even managed to not faint! This is a huge feat. HUGE I SAY! Okay, back on track.

I was just ready for this shot to be done. Then the nurse practitioner came in and broke the news...I have gestational diabetes. My BIGGEST fear probably since all you do is give yourself shots and prick your finger. Oh my. I was just in shock and every other emotion for that one! I finally calmed down. Then we heard the heartbeat, which is always good. Then I got the shot, which was much better than I was thinking it would have been. Then again I did just hear I have that diabetes thing, but yeah.

Mom also flew in that afternoon and so that's been very nice to have her here!! We've done a bit of research and I really am hoping that I can just control this thing through diet and exercise. But I made it through 2 blood drawings which has NEVER happened before, plus a shot....if Chayse is able to help and support me through those things, I know he'll be there for this. Ahhh!! I meet with the specialist on Thursday, so I will have a lot more answers soon enough.

I am very thankful for such an easy pregnancy thus far. I have had no morning sickness, no food annoyances and no problems. I guess just adding on the pounds, but that is to be understood. So this is just something to deal with and pass over. I just have to take care of myself and work hard to not get adult onset diabetes now. Wow. Who would've thought!?! But I've done a few hard things so far for this little girl, I can do just one more.

Oh boy am I whelmed!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you are dealing with all that! :( You are almost there though! You are a woman...you can do hard things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte, I had gestational diabetes and just controlled it through my diet. My doctor didn't even make me go to a specialist. He has diabetes as well and he said to really cut down on my carbs. That seemed to do the trick and I actually lost a few pounds when I did that. Tagg is diabetic also so I checked my sugars occasionally just to make sure. Is there a way you can get the levels your blood sugars were at? A lot of the time it is very borderline which would be much more likely you can just control through diet Good luck though! I agree with the needles thing. I HATE shots! Tagg had to give me a shot in the tummy everyday of my pregnancy (a blood thinner to prevent clots that might form) and it never got easier. I will pray that diet will do the trick!! Oh what we go through to get these little people here safe and sound. It is totally worth it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Charlotte, I'm so sorry. That stinks. But I know you can do it! You're so strong and amazing, don't worry! I'll be thinking and praying for you and your precious girl.

    ReplyDelete