Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Lux Charlotte Myers

So my due date came and went. How boring, lame and anticlimactic that was! I did not think she would come on the 19th. I honestly thought she would come on the 12th because I'm diabetic, which typically means 2 weeks earlier than your date. And a heavier baby. That made me nervous at my 39.5 week apt that she would end up being at least 8 pounds and make me have a c-section. Which sounds good, but bad also. It would be nice to schedule her arrival! But here's the story...

Monday the 22nd was our 3rd anniversary and I was hoping she'd here before then so Chayse and I could enjoy a nice Red Lobster feast for dinner (counting carbs isn't much fun when you loooove their rolls and can only have half of one for a whole meal-45 carbs!) So I was looking forward to spending time in front of a plate that I didn't need to count. But she had other plans...

On Monday, Chayse and I went to the gym as per usual routine and then came back to got cleaned up. I didn't feel like dressing up so a sit-down meal was out of the question for me, How unromantic. Instead we picked up so food at Wingers (still not impressed with the place) and swung by Sweet Tooth Fairy for some AMAZING cake bites! We headed back home and just enjoyed a casual evening and then I feel asleep on the couch (surprise!) at 10, Chayse tried to wake me at 10:30 but there was no budging, so he headed off to bed.

At 11pm I woke up and felt some pains. I wasn't thinking because it was night time. I'm not the best while sleepy and was shocked when I figured out around midnight that I was in labor. By 1 I decided I could no longer lay in bed and keep disrupting Chayse. I am sure he only got an hours worth of "sleep" that night as well. I then proceeded to finish packing my hospital bag and continue trying to work with the contractions as best I could. Finally at 3 I could no longer handle it. I was done. Go away pain! So I told Chayse we were leaving for the hospital and he wanted to just double check that I was having contractions because I think he just didn't want to sleep on the hospital couch. Ha.

We made it to the hospital, checked in, and sure enough I was at 5cm. That was the target I wanted to hit before getting an epidural for some reason, to feel some of the contractions and what my body was about to go through. It started to become surreal to me and that we'd been waiting FOREVER for this baby girl to come to us. I couldn't believe she would be there, that day, just hours away instead of weeks and months and years. Every time I think about waiting for her it makes me tear up a bit just because I know that I would not be the mother I can be to her today if she had come 2 years ago. She's the perfect piece of heaven that Heavenly Father entrusted to us and I am soooo grateful she is here!!!

Okay, so they checked me in, put me in a lovely hospital bed and stuck me with the IV. That was the most nerve-wracking part, oddly enough. Then we waited for the anesthesiologist to wake up (it was only 4 am) and come to give me my drugs! It went very smooth and I had a tiny contraction at the very end of him giving it to me. What a relief! I know that I could have met my sweet Lux a few hours earlier without it, but...sorry. She really was worth the wait! After the epidural, Chayse laid down and I had my eyes closed going in and out of rest. Then when my parents were awake I called them to say what was going on and the puked. Yuck. Felt like heartburn, but it sure wasn't. Chayse sprung up and grabbed the trash can (good details, huh?) and things went well. Otherwise it would've been all over their monitors and such. Then I grabbed a sucker they had laid out for me beside my water jug at the hospital. Ooops. An hour later they began monitoring my blood sugars again. 5 more pricks before I met my baby girl. Chayse and I played some cards (5 Crowns, great game, you must buy it!) and then he ordered breakfast because he was starving. Then we laid back down and waited just a bit longer.

Just after 11, and being at 10cm for about 30 minutes, I started pushing with a nurse and Chayse helping me. It was so weird not to be able to feel my legs. They felt all plastic-y, but it was nice at the same time. Then about 11:15, the nurse summoned Dr Lunt and he was there within minutes. Next thing you know, they placed a healthy, beautiful baby girl on my chest. It was amazing. What an experience. There is nothing like it. She was just wonderful from the moment I laid eyes on her. I couldn't believe how perfectly tiny her features were and how much like a baby she was (not just a newborn look). She has 10 perfectly tiny toes and 10 perfectly tiny fingers. Her face is angelic and I just love her coloring. I don't know who she looks like, but to me she's beautiful. She's ours. Our sweet baby girl. I am soooo happy she made it here safely!!!! (With no c-section, phew!!)

She had me at hello. Our first contact!
Strong baby girl! 6 pounds 14 ounces 19 1/2 inches
Adorable, right?

My one-eyed Lux! She is always doing that.
Family photo!
PRECIOUS!!!!!

My absolute favorite picture of her right now.
Hangin out with Daddy.
So much more in love with him than I was on our anniversary.
Things went well in the hospital. I was in labor and delivery for about an hour and as soon as was possible, ordered a lot of food. Salad, sandwich, fruit, chocolate shake and apple juice. I thought I'd be able to share some with Chayse, but no such luck. No more diabetes, no more counting!!!! Then we headed up to the Mom & Baby floor by 3. Recovery went pretty quickly. I could have stayed another day but I was just feeling too plastic-y in the hospital. The stuff that was around the pillows, around the mattress, the fancy gown they give you.... I never did leave my room until we went home. I just felt sooo uncomfortable even visiting my daughter and seeing what they did in the nursery. The only time she was apart from me was overnight when she slept over there and then they'd wheel her to my room when she was hungry. Which was a lot. But she was a wonderful sweetheart while making our first impressions!

Ready for our home!
Poor kid.
She sleeps very well in her car seat, so far, so we laid her down in the cradle my dad
 made for my older brother 31 years ago when we got home!

Lux and Momma. She's a dreamboat. Can't get enough of her.
Since arriving home we've already had a lot of adventures together. We are trying to still understand each other and figure out all the little bits that come along with being a first time mom. I couldn't have asked for a better first child though. She's perfect in every way! I've already had a few rough moments, caused namely by lack of sleep, but this is the perfect thing to be. A Mom. I never thought I would want to just stay at home with my kids and not have a side-job to go and be with coworkers for a few hours a day, but now I've never wanted more than to just sit around with my daughter and try and teach her everything I can think of. This is the most wonderful blessing. I am soooo glad I have Chayse along for the ride. If he wasn't the perfect man he is, I am betting I'd be living with my parents having them help take care of her. I am so glad that we are committed to one another and creating a solid relationship to have Lux grow up in a safe haven.

I love my Lux. She's perfect. Chayse is my supporting angel. I am so happy to be on this ride.

9 comments:

  1. She is BEAUTIFUL! And so are you by the way :) You look fantastic! I'm so glad to hear everything went well. Enjoy your brand new, snugly, little girl! Soak it up, it goes by fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you Charlotte! Labor and delivery is awesome, because once that baby is on your chest you realize what a miracle it all was. You and Chayse are going to be wonderful parents. Can't wait to meet that little gal sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FINALLY pictures! I've been dying for more. She is adorable!!! You guys will be such cute parents. Glad to see Chayse holding Lux so comfortably! ;) Now I want a turn! I miss the snuggly newborn days. Soak in every second. Wish we lived closer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations. That is so exciting. Makes me so excited and made me tear up a bit. Way to go mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY Congratulations again! I couldn't tell who she looked like in person, but from these pics I think she looks like Chayse. It's amazing how much they change in that first year though! I'm sure you guys are awesome parents :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is just gorgeous Charlotte! congratulations Mamma! :) Thanks for sharing the story and I wish we lived closer so we could come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy for you! Babies are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. CONGRATS! You both look just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you have a blog! Just found it, and your Lux is beautiful. Glad it's been such a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete