So I'm a bit behind on posting about Andrew's wedding, but things have gotten a bit crazy around here. I started a job with the US Census and have a deeper appreciation for Chayse after he went door to door last summer trying to make a living for us. Things are going fine with it, but it's just not as much fun as hanging out with Julianna and the nieces everyday. Oh well!
But back to my reason for this post...our garden!!!! This has been a lot of stress for me lately. Why? Oh, because. (Said like Eyla and Raya would)
Take 1 started back in March when I planted from seed all of our plants. I was so excited to have every kind of plant I wanted and more to grow in our backyard. From the roughly 97 plants I started, with multiple seeds being placed in each plant so triple that number, only 8 are still living. Maybe 9. It could have been 10 if Raya was more aware of her surroundings and didn't smash that poor little guy. I think we planted them a bit to early, the first weekend in April, and they probably froze to death. I started that indoors.
Take 2 began just after our murdering of the other 87 plants. We decided we would mix in our red clay with the over-fertalized mess we had at the beginning to help the plants hold the water instead of leaking through. We planted seeds and just waited. And waited. And waited. Then we only had 2 green onions take root along with 10 or so radishes and then we scraped take 2. I just planted the radishes because they were cheap, not that I like them. So after 4 weeks and really no growth, that project ended.
Take 3. The one that you can actually see!! We went crazy and bought 12 tomato plants, strawberries, beans, peas, squash, zucinni, cucumbers and melons and planted those. We also have some blueberries around the corner (from earlier planting) plus 4 fruit trees along one side. Things got a little rough the next few days after we planted them. The wind went crazy with the weather people saying it was up to 30 mph. MY POOR BABIES!! At that point I was so nervous they would survive since most of the plants got limbs ripped off from the wind. The leaves shrivled up. And their mother, me, wept. We almost had it! We were sooo close to keep a garden, then the elements got to them. But we remained focused and kept watering. Hoped the wind wouldn't knock them down.
And now...we have a small tomato started! A little green ball coming off a plant and I couldn't be happier. Now all I need to do is just keep those insects off the little guy so he can fully develop.
I'm one happy mom right now! :)
Friday, May 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You left out the part where Raya who a few weeks later became very aware of her surrounding stomped them. hahahaha. And ya the census is so not as fun as hanging out with us, we rock.
ReplyDelete