Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Painting some rooms

I figure since I just have these photos sitting around, I'll show what's happened at our house lately. Well, not that lately since we're in Panama City still. But here is out guest bathroom after finishing the paint job. I had Chayse help out a ton, but he was proud I didn't abandon mid-project. I measured out a 4 inch stripe, then a 2 inch one. And we've since hung up the pictures and such, but I apparently don't have an after shot with that right now. So  here's Chayse looking all hot after painting our bathroom! Wahooo! 
Next, I thought I'd get a move on with the Craft room and paint it, oh yes, Tiffany Blue!! I think I have become obsessed since I am having a very hard time branching out and picking a color out of the blue/green department. And since I want to have a BYU office room...we are in BIG trouble! I finished this room (probably 12'x10'?) all on my own! Okay, Chayse helped me tape everything, but I did all the edging and the walls in 2 days. So 3 movies later...Ta-Da!!
 

Next paint job is the laundry room. While Chayse and I were on our millionth trip to Home Depot and Lowes to find, whatever it was, I always pass by the paint counter. They strategically place those things in the best spots to catch me. Really, they are smart! And I happened to find a $5 can of RED PAINT! Finally! I'm out of my green/blue obsession! It was the perfect shade and a great way to have some bold color in the house in a room that is used often, and underappreciated. 
So once I finish the Craft room, I decided to take a break. Then Max and my mom were going to come and visit and they thought I had stopped there. So I wanted to surprise even Chayse and just push through and paint the laundry room too. Day 1 starts with most of the taping and covering of the cabinets and white washing/dryer machines. I thought a stain of red wouldn't look the best, so I wanted to keep those things free of stain! After I taped for like an hour, I thought I would start on the edging and get that mostly done before Chayse got home. I'd stop taping around the cabinents and do that tomorrow. It was getting more difficult than I wanted. After the movie ended, I packed everything up and got on with life!

Day 2 for the laundry room...I finished taping the rest of the room, maybe 30 more minutes, and then decided I didn't want to stir the paint can, I want to SHAKE IT! Ohhh my. 1.4 seconds later I had pour 3/4 of the paint can on my feet and, thank goodness, on the cloth tarp laid on the floor. I had lots of confusion in wondering how to walk across carpet, into the bathroom, to clean up this mess....without staining the carpet. I called Chayse and freaked out and then he hung up on me as I requested his help. He couldn't since I had the car. Then I came to my senses and noticed the sink I was standing beside I cleaned myself up. PHEW! Disaster averted!

Now, how was I going to put the paint back in the can for later use?! I couldn't just roll the paint off the tarp since it would dry faster than I could paint. Then I grapped a large plastic container that used to hold yogurt and scooped it back into the can. I only lost 1/4 of it. Oh man, how distressed I would have been to have to buy a $30 can of paint to fix my mistake!!! (It was the ultra brand that we had bought on sale and cost more.) It was a lot more intense when it happened, but now we have a beautiful laundry room with a great story behind it! I LOVE IT!!!!



Now I need another room to paint. I have no idea what to do our bedroom and since it is so big, I'm holding off. And there is no door leading into our bathroom so that would need to be painted too. And I'm thinking a bring yellow for the closet, maybe? So that is just going to turn into a much larger project than what Chayse would want it to be and I am betting I would stop mid-way on that one. I am trying to still determine the best way to make a BYU Office without making it look too small with Navy blue but that's the main color so you have to have enough of it to claim it as a BYU room. Then the guest room just needs a lot of help. I plan on finding some fabric to make pillows and maybe a bedspread first, then I'll paint. And since I am still stuck on thinking it should be a green...I thought this would be the best way to possibly stray from having every room the same thing and give it a little bit of a variety!

1 comment:

  1. Charlotte! I can't help to laugh as I envision this whole laundry room ordeal. Good job love, everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete