Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fantastic Gems

I  have been a reading machine lately! I am loving the different worlds that some of these books have transported me to. Right now in my book club we are reading a book I actually suggested and couldn't put down. 

This book was awesome. I loved the writer. It had history from the Salem witch trials and it really did take me back hundreds of years. They way she mixed the words with the story of a woman living today was fantastic! The only part I oddly didn't like was that she gave a tad bit too much detail for me. She gave the love interest a pony tail and honestly, I like a clean cut guy (just look at Chayse!) and I think he had a nose ring too, yuck. But if that's my only annoyance with it, then it is definately on a must-read list for people if they ask me what to read. And I'm kind of excited that my fellow book club members are trusting me on this one. Nervous too because I have to lead the discussion, oh well. Maybe I'll rethink this whole volunteering a book for next month...

This is another goodie. Really. I don't know how to really describe this one. It's about a girl living in Brooklyn (surprise!) and just her life in the early 1900's. Boy am I blessed to be born at this time and in American where I can read what I want! This one was a book I couldn't put down and I still can't pinpoint exactly why. It was written in the 40's and is probably a "classic" in my eyes. Just very enjoyable!

My most recent find...Sarah's Key. It has two things that I absolutely love...Paris and well, the Holocaust is a love because it intrigues me. So I can't call that a love, but it just draws me in whenever I read or see something that has anything to do with WW2. But on with this wonderful gem... I think I finished it in 4 days. It was written so beautifully and I really did like the ending. (Read it and find out why) This author just knew the history so well and had the stories intertwine perfectly. I felt like I was there, in Sarah's shoes feeling everything. And I wished with will my heart I was Julia living in Paris and having a fancy life! Well, maybe not completely fancy, but living in a wonderful city and being able to visit all those wonderful places. Paris, we shall meet again, I promise.

I hope you pick up one of these gems and give yourself a look! They were worthwhile reads (there are some other good ones I read, but these ones are the top out of the last 10 I picked up) and I think you'll enjoy yourself!

Let me know what your last favorite read was so I have some more to find at the library!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Char! I've been needing some good book suggestions, so this is perfect. Have you read the Hunger Games? That is a great book and it has 2 more after it.

    ReplyDelete