Friday, June 28, 2013

Happy Birthday Zane!!!!

We are adjusting to a family of 4 these days but wanted to post of few pictures of that special day Zane came into our family. What a perfect little man. He is just so handsome and everything that I imagined a newborn would be. He is the best sleeper I've ever seen and is just so sweet. I am thrilled to have him a part of our family and look forward to the upcoming weeks and months!
 
I was due on June 12 but figured I would at least make it to that date since sweet Lux ended up hanging around 4 extra days. So I scheduled to be induced on June 14 if the baby didn't come before then. We had no idea what the baby was until he was born. It was such a thrill. I would recommend anyone to try it out. June 12 came and went and we waited for a call on Friday morning and heard from the hospital at 5:30 to come in at 6:30. I've never seen Chayse jump out of bed so quickly upon hearing the call. We were really excited to meet this new baby! I was a bit more hesitant that Chayse, but was excited to be able to sit more comfortably soon enough.
 
We got to the hospital just about 6:15 and was hooked up to the Pitocin and strep b fluids by 6:30. I was apparently having contractions already, 2-3 minutes apart, but they were just cramping pains so I didn't really think they were contractions. It was nothing to be worried about, just a bit uncomfortable. Around 8:30 my doctor came and broke my water, the oddest feeling in the world. And I felt like I lost about 2 gallons of water weight. Just after that I got myself an epidural so I didn't need to worry about any of the pain. Because if I'm planning on getting it, why not just enjoy it? 
 
Around 10:30 Chayse is starving and orders some food. The hospital food was absolutely delicious, but must be short-staffed because it took a good 45 minutes to make it to the room. I ended up progressing very quickly and they took me off the Pitocin around 9:30 because I didn't need it anymore. I never did get any higher than the starting dosage they give you to get contractions going. Around 9 or so I was at a 5 and figured things would take a while since my labor with Lux was 12 hours and it had only been about 2 1/2 hours since things got started. Then just after Chayse ordered his food I was at a 7 and then by 11 I had made it to a 9. I was honest and just said take your time, go ahead and eat. So I bet the nurses thought I was crazy! So he ate and enjoyed himself while I went on pinning recipes because I was starving and waiting for my first meal!
 
Around 11:40 I started to push and then the doctor came in just before noon and Zane entered the world at noon! I really like my doctor and his sense of humor. Same with the nurses, they were great. Chayse was the one to announce what gender the baby was. The doctor asked Chayse if he was able to "make the call" and the nurses mentioned getting their anatomy books if they were needed. I had an inkling it was a boy because we had no name picked out for him, had only a few newborn sleeper outfits and I have no idea what to do with a boy! Despite having 3 brothers, it seems like completely unchartered territory and scares me a bit.
 
So I must admit, the pregnancy went very well complete without diabetes this time, gallons of ice cream and no numb limbs (yay!). Then the birth was very smooth only being in labor for 5 1/2 hours and having a 7 lb 13 oz baby. We had about 15 names on a list that we liked and ended up getting rid of all the names and going with one that a nurse mentioned was her nephew's name. (she was 2nd of 11 kids with plenty of nephew names to mention and I'm glad we asked her for some!) Recovery has been much easier as well. We were up and doing things when Zane was 3 days old and even went on a trip to SLC for a wedding when he was 6 days old. Crazy? Sure. But it felt good to leave the house!
 
Since coming home he has been an excellent sleeper!!!!! No wonder people get things done when babies sleep! I was lucky to get Lux to sleep 10 hours a day when she was born, and Zane is awake for only 4ish hours a day right now. Lux is adjusting and it helps with my mom here visiting so I have been able to do a few things just her and me and it makes the days go much smoother. It is a heavenly treat to have her around because Chayse has been in Ogden all week on business and I am ready for him to be home again! Zane has just been an angel and already takes bottles (something Lux never did, even after starving her for 12 hours and then I gave up and nursed her). I am thrilled to have such a wonderful, healthy, beautiful son join our family. He is a perfect fit. 










3 comments:

  1. So happy for you that Zane is finally here! He does sound like such a good sleeper and baby! Loved seeing pictures of your new family of 4!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! What a sweet boy and I love his name! I'm so glad things are going well and that he is such a good sleeper! It must be a boy thing, cause our boys were pretty good sleepers and our little Jovie, we'll she reminds me of Lux:) but of course we love her to death!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, little Zane is adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete