Wednesday, May 2, 2018

CHEMO #7

Tuesday. Yay for Tuesdays.

I had to head in for labs at 9:30. This meant to go and do something at the gym before hand to keep my blood flowing for the hours of sitting that were awaiting me. And this also means I need to have my lidocane on no later than 8:30. I do not want to feel anything going on. Well, as little as possible at least. That would make me needing to be home by 8 to shower and get that good stuff on. In case you were wondering.

So I got to chat with Dr Reese by 10ish and hope and pray that this time with the Dex would help my next round of chemo. Eeek, the nerves definitely come at this point. But I am glad he is trying different things to see if there is a better way to go with me and figure out what will help.

Out to the infusion room about 10:30/45 to get the party started. First up are the premeds and then...the waiting game. Those take about an hour. And we have been taking a bit of a break and then getting started with the Taxol. I had a delayed response and then...yes...it still came. Something is bothering me. But like the angels they are, those nurses rushed to my aid and just did their job. I get overwhelmed thinking about these women (because that's what I had the opportunity to have in the infusion room) and the amazing skills they have. I don't think it's by chance that they became nurses. Something clicked in their minds and allowed them to understand all the information thrown at them in school. They were able to pass their nursing exams and get the needed certifications for chemotherapy related issues. They studied and their families allowed them to keep moving forward in something they are passionate about. They, and all nurses, are dedicated and care about what they do. Each week, I put my life in their hands and let them do what they know how to do best. It's been an interesting ride and letting this happen. Just take my word for it, don't bother to hop into that expensive chair and drug yourself. I am still confused on how I got in it, but it's a special group I get to be around because of it.

My special visitors for today were mom and Auntie Jill. They got to see a nice, fun and eventful day at the chemo center. I felt the crummiest I have ever felt after starting the actual drug. I had some awesome ice packs tacked to my feet with my ace bandages. It has been so helpful to keep my feet cold and restrict the drug from coming to my feet. I am just so nervous to lose feeling in my feet. That seems like something I don't want to have. And I try so hard to grip my hand ice packs. That ends up being useless when I pass out...as I did today. I was so blurred and confused. It was probably the worst day to date with that side effect. I really wasn't capable of any conversation and had no idea what was going on around me.

Timeline: 10:45 premed start time
    11:45 Taxol start
    11:55-12:15 break after pukes
     12:15 start up
     4 hour, long drawing out of the drug
     Closing the place down about 4:30 leaving

I got to be one of probably 3 people left at that time. It could have been closer to 5. I don't really know. I do know that my mom and aunt came and I tried my best to be entertaining. I tried to talk. Be nice and enjoy some fun conversation without being interrupted. But the extra benadryl and ativan really got to me and I just couldn't keep my eyes open or my body alert. Not sure how long I was out, but I do know that I got a good picture with them before I passed out. Hopefully I didn't drool too much this time...eeek...!

Lucky, my dad was able to watch Pippa and then Zane and Zoey were able to play with their friends. It's been a lucky thing to have friends be there to watch my babies when I need it the most.

Oh Chemo number 7. You are not missed. I'm glad you're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment