Monday, November 20, 2017

Saturday November 18

I was wanting to go to the Jubilee of Trees this year, put on by Intermountain Healthcare every year to benefit a certain wing of the hospital. They have been expanding our main hospital for years now and will have a new oncology wing come Summer of 18 (sounds like this cancer is a few months ahead of what it should be so I could enjoy the new building). This year the jubilee is for genomics. It is a research department that focuses on the study of genes and how it affects people and their cancer. The pamphlet says it is for those in stage four that is recommended by their doctors to target the malfunctioning gene and pick specific drugs to target the cancer instead of flushing out everything through chemotherapy. Deb mentioned it will be something I get to do as well to find out what went wrong with me, because I am so young and everything else is so different in my cancer story. And I am now all for cancer research (I probably should have been before but we usually just donate to our church to help support others in humanitarian efforts). So obviously we went.

I am so glad we did, even just for a few friends we ran into while there. One woman in particular I had admired for her breast cancer fight and I hadn't called back once she heard the news. She mentioned that her tumor had been growing for 7 years before she caught it. How did she know?? As soon as the remove the tumor in surgery, they were able to test it and figure out how rapidly it grew and all sorts of information from it. I honestly can't wait to find that out! How fascinating!! She also did the gene testing and was able to find out hers was not hereditary. So much information given to research to help out others. It is such a wonderful profession, being able to study all these different things and learn so much to help others that will eventually be in my shoes.

Saturday was just a regular one spending time with the kids and taking care of a few things. Oh, I have a feeling I will miss you, boring chore filled Saturdays.

1 comment:

  1. Helps me realize how grateful I am for my everyday tasks. xoxo

    ReplyDelete