I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I was raised Mormon and have just always believed. I have never felt that it was wrong and my faith, it just made sense to me. Everything I was learning just made sense. And one of the first covenants that we make is at 8 years old when we have the opportunity to be baptized. We do not believe in infant baptisms and that at 8 one is accountable for the sins you may commit and should begin to understand forgiveness and repentance.
We are then able, after a priesthood interview with our bishop, enter into the waters of baptism and be baptized, by immersion, and cleansed from any past sins and able to take upon a special promise with God, or covenant. Here is Mosiah 18:8-10 in the Book of Mormon to further explain the promises.
8 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;
9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—
10 Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?
I think this is just the easiest way to help explain how I have felt these past few weeks. I was diagnosed not even a month ago and I feel as if anyone I have ever come in contact these past 32 years has gone out of their way to help my burden become light. There are times I haven't even felt a grain of sand what has been happening. And I really do understand that it is a blessing that many of you are willing to bear this burden with me. When we are baptize we make a two way promise with God that "we covenant to bear one another's burdens, stand as witnesses of God, serve Him and keep His commandments" and our promise is that "the Lord will pour out His Spirit upon us." And he truly has. As all those around me, of my particular faith or not, you have shared this burden and made it so much easier. All the kinds messages and gifts and prayers and thoughts, it just means the world to me right now. And with the wonderful Christmas season and the beautiful lights and celebration of the season, it has just made this sour experience a much better one. I enjoy hearing from all of you.You are the ones carrying me through and making this something I can do.
On a side note, my parents arrived about 1 am this morning to pretty much move in! It will be so nice to have help with the kids on harder days and them to kind of force me to get back to being a mom when I can be. I just worry a lot about the unknown. But all your love and support helping me bear this burden is just making it so much easier. THANK YOU!
No comments:
Post a Comment