Monday, January 22, 2018

Chemo #3

Chemo isn't scheduled until 12:30. This means I have to come in at 11:30 for labs, 12 for the Dr and then into the infusion room. So instead of waiting around all morning, soon after Lux left for school, mom and I piled the kids into the van and headed to the gym. I was able to do most all of the HIIT class. I think I'm at about 70-80% when doing these classes. I am also not wanting to touch the gym floor anymore (compromise immune system and gym floors just don't sound like a great combo right now) so I have been doing a lot of modifying. And sometimes I just get headaches from not sleeping to great lately and all the jumping around gets to me. So, I'm the slacker in the middle of the class (can't be too close, but then I can't see what's going on if I'm too far back. I'm that kid.) And, if I forgot to mention before, because of my leaky wound, the wound doctor told me to avoid stretches and movements that would cause the wound to open up more. Ahh, good point. Never thought of that. So she suggested mainly biceps and triceps and no over shoulder type exercises (lats mainly). It felt good to burn some energy before sitting around for a few hours and then laying down for the rest of the day.

Came home, cleaned up, ate a little something and grabbed my bag when Chayse came home to pick me up. I am so thankful to live in a small community with literally no traffic. Rush hour is probably from 5-5:30? Oh and from 8:45-9:15. It gets a bit crazy out there. Have to wait for maybe 2 rounds of lights on a really bad day? But it is a wonderful community with lots of happy sunshine and a few rainy days scattered throughout the year. And possibly a snow dusting once at the end of January/beginning of February.

So, off to the cancer center. They are just so kind there. Everyone really loves their job. I'm getting better at labs. I even tried to hold back my shirt while they are getting my IV to go into my port. But then Chayse said he would do it. My bravery is coming along. But...maybe we shouldn't rush it. Check. Now off to the doctor. Checked out my sweet wound and everything seems to be going just fine. When I went in last Friday they changed the medicine bandage to put on and everything seems to be going well. It is growing new skin and moving the right direction.

Doctor visit went well, so now we can head into the infusion room! Today my neighbor and friend Holly visited with me. Chayse headed off to get some snacks and fresh air. I may have sent him on a chase for a fruity smoothie a plain bagel. He grabbed some Chickfila and I may have sent him out because of the smells. Just didn't sound tasty or even smell good this week. Sad face. I just wanted fruit and my trusty plain bagel that the worker was confused that I didn't want anything toasted or smeared. I just didn't trust my belly today.

We had a great time chatting and laughing and kind of forgetting where we were. It was wonderful to be transported somewhere else for a few hours. I guess the best thing about chemo is that it's not exactly a kids place. Too many cords. Too quiet. Just not too fun of a place sometimes. I am so glad Holly was able to visit for even a short time and get to know each other just a little bit better. And no kids to interrupt a sentence and start over. You know what I mean. A 10 minutes conversation taking almost an hour, and then you feel like you barely got anywhere. I get a good 90 minutes of real chatting. Wahoooo. And then. The tic tac patch. Blahhhhhh. Holly gave me a good laugh because I was just sitting there bracing myself and I am sure she's wondering what I am doing. Then two minutes later the rubberband smack happened and she jumped higher than I did! Oh I loved it. Maybe next time I won't be so scared!

This time I felt well enough to leave soon after finishing up. That gave me some confidence for the rest of the afternoon. Not enough to skip my anti nausea pill when I first got home, but encouraged that I will be okay this time around. The kids were very intrigued by my shot box and wanted to keep looking at the flashing light. Oh the thrills! I took a rest on the couch until the kids all came home from playgroup (you ladies are lifesavers!!!) and then Lux from school. Although I can't really take care of my kids and it is relaxing to have them away and playing with friends to I can rest, it does me good to have my kids loving and caring for me and being so kind and sweet when I get back from treatment. They are (usually) the best ever! 

My main issues tonight at tired and worn out, ready for bed, a bit achey. Mainly slow as a turtle, but still putting one foot in front of the other and showing my kids anything can be done. Now I wait until 9:30 comes, take some meds and tuck myself in bed. Thankfully the wound stuff was done yesterday and they said to do it every 2-3 days, unless it is wet. I do my best to keep it from getting wet, but when going to the gym I try for the 2 day make. Also. Forgive my old lady arm, it looks pretty gross from this angle but that's what you get with a kid photographer. They're the best.


No comments:

Post a Comment